BOBS currently provides industrial calibration and traceability services through cooperating partners in the areas of industrial metrology. At national level there is an Advisory Committee, the National Metrology System-Advisory Committee (NMS-AC), which advises BOBS on areas of metrology that need to be established in order to serve industry and other measurement related issues. Cooperating partners currently offering these services are the University of Botswana's Faculty of Engineering and Technology-Electrical Engineering Department and the Faculty of Sciences -Physics Department in the fields of electrical quantities and temperature calibration services respectively, whilst BOBS offers temperature, force and pressure calibration services.
The capabilities of these services are
- Temperature (-20 oC to 80 oC) - Liquid-in-glass thermometry with an accuracy of ± 0.01 oC
- Pressure, up to 700 bars hydraulic and up to 7 bars pneumatic with accuracies of ±0.5 bar and ±0.02% respectively.
- Force using load cells (up to 200 kN tensile) and (up to 2000kN compressive) with accuracy of ±1%.
Electrical quantities with a one-year specification at various accuracies for the different parameters listed below:
- DC voltage from 0 V to 1020 V
- DC current from 0 A to 11A
- AC voltage from 1 mV to 1020 V with output from 10 Hz to 500 kHz,
- AC current from 33 A to 11 A with output from 10 Hz to 10 kHz
- Resistance values from a short circuit to 330 MW
- Capacitance values from 330 pF to 110 F
- Simulated output for three types of Resistance Temperature Detectors (RTDs)
- Simulated output for nine types of thermocouples
Calibration of Liquid-in-glass (alcohol and mercury in glass), Platinum resistance thermometers, Resistance temperature devices and Thermocouples with readouts.
BOBS acquired a 915 parallel tube temperature calibration bath and Standards Platinum Resistance Thermometers (SPRTs) have been testing the equipment, which has proved to be performing beyond what most of the Botswana manufacturers and industrialists will require for the next 5 to 10 years.
- The 915 handle temperatures from –65 0C to 300 0C with an accuracy of ±0.0005 0C.
- The SPRT range is –196 0C to 550 0C with an accuracy of ±0.00003 0C.
- The equipment offers calibration solutions for the above quoted instruments for the ranges of –20 0C to 250 0C.
Apart from the above captioned services, the BOBS (Metrology Unit) provides technical assistance on measurements and the related issues in the form of training on measurement quality, meetings to discuss measurement related matters and awareness campaigns.